If you’re looking to buy a new mattress or bed in Ireland, it’s important to understand the different sizes available. This will help you choose the right size for your room and needs and make shopping and comparing prices easier.
In this article, we’ll go through the most common bed and mattress sizes available in Ireland, along with their dimensions and some tips for choosing the right size for your needs.
1. Single Beds and Mattresses
Single beds and mattresses are the smallest size available and are ideal for children or smaller bedrooms. They typically measure 90cm x 190cm (35 inches x 75 inches). Some single beds may be slightly longer, measuring 200cm (79 inches) in length.
2. Small Double Beds and Mattresses
Small double beds and mattresses are popular for couples who prefer a bit more space than a single bed but don’t have enough space for a double bed. They typically measure 120cm x 190cm (47 inches x 75 inches).
3. Double Beds and Mattresses
Double beds and mattresses are one of the most popular sizes in Ireland. They offer enough space for two people to sleep comfortably but are still small enough to fit into most bedrooms. They typically measure 135cm x 190cm (53 inches x 75 inches).
4. King Size Beds and Mattresses
King size beds and mattresses are a larger option for those who want more space to spread out while sleeping. They typically measure 150cm x 200cm (59 inches x 79 inches). Some king size beds may be slightly wider, measuring up to 160cm (63 inches).
5. Super King Size Beds and Mattresses
Super king size beds and mattresses are the largest option available in Ireland. They offer plenty of space for couples who want a bit of extra room or for those who like to spread out while sleeping. They typically measure 180cm x 200cm (71 inches x 79 inches).
Tips for Choosing the Best Bed Size for Your Bedroom
- Assessing room dimensions: Before purchasing a bed, measure your room accurately. This ensures that your new bed fits comfortably, with enough space to move around.
- Consideration of bedroom furniture and layout: It’s essential to factor in other furniture pieces. A king-size bed might sound appealing, but not if it restricts access to wardrobes or drawers.
- Factoring in user height and sleeping preferences: A taller individual might prefer a king or super king size, while those who like to sprawl might opt for a larger bed, even if they sleep alone.
- Planning for future needs and changes: If you’re single now but planning to share your bed soon or expect children jumping into bed on Sunday mornings, it’s good to plan ahead.
Bed and Mattress Dimensions Chart
Here’s a handy chart to help you compare the different bed and mattress sizes available in Ireland:
|90cm x 190cm (35 inches x 75 inches)
|120cm x 190cm (47 inches x 75 inches)
|135cm x 190cm (53 inches x 75 inches)
|150cm x 200cm (59 inches x 79 inches)
|180cm x 200cm (71 inches x 79 inches)
What size is a double bed?
The size of a double bed is typically sized at 4’6” x 6’3” or 135 x 190 cm.
Buying Tips: Ensuring Quality and Value
- Importance of mattress compatibility: A good bed frame deserves a compatible mattress. Ensure that your mattress fits snugly on your frame, with no overhang or gaps.
- Checking frame strength and material: Look for a robust frame made of durable material. A strong frame ensures longevity and a better return on investment.
- Verifying warranty and return policy: Always check the warranty and understand the terms. A solid warranty often indicates a company’s trust in its product.
- Reading customer reviews and ratings: First-hand experiences provide invaluable insights. Reviews can help you gauge the real-life benefits and drawbacks of a bed.
- Trying before buying: the value of in-store tests: Spending a few minutes on a bed in-store can be more informative than hours of online research. It gives you a real feel of the bed’s comfort and size.
Where To Buy
We have reviewed and tested some of the best mattress companies. Check out our mattress-buying guide here.
Maximizing Comfort: Bedding and Accessories
- Investing in high-quality bedding: Quality sheets and covers enhance sleep quality. They provide comfort, regulate temperature, and can even reduce allergies.
- Bed size impact on pillow selection: The width of your bed can guide the number and size of pillows that look and feel best.
- Choosing the right beddings for seasonal changes: Swap out heavy blankets for lighter ones in the summer and vice versa. This ensures you remain comfortable year-round.
The importance of selecting the correct bed size
Selecting the right bed size is about more than just aesthetics. It’s about creating a space where you can comfortably rest, rejuvenate, and recover from daily stresses. The right bed size ensures you have enough space to move comfortably throughout the night without disruptions. It also affects your posture and spinal alignment. An incorrect bed size might lead to discomfort, sleep interruptions, or even long-term health issues.
Factors influencing bed size decisions
Several factors play a crucial role when choosing a bed size, such as room size, the number of sleepers, their sleeping habits, and budget. Additionally, personal preference regarding aesthetics, the type of mattress preferred, and the lifespan you expect from your bed also come into play.
Potential Issues to Watch Out For
- Oversized beds in smaller rooms: A bed that’s too large can cramp your space, making the room feel claustrophobic.
- Undersized beds for taller individuals: A bed that’s too short can lead to legs hanging off the end or a restless night’s sleep.
- Inconsistent sizing across brands and regions: A king-size in one brand or country might differ in another. Always check dimensions, not just the name.
Choosing the right bed and mattress size is important for a good night’s sleep. In Ireland, several common sizes are available, ranging from single to super king size. Consider the size of your room, sleeping arrangements, and personal preferences when choosing the right size.
What is the most popular bed size in Ireland?
The most popular bed size in Ireland is the double bed, which measures 135cm x 190cm.
What is the smallest bed size in Ireland?
The smallest bed size in Ireland is the single bed, which measures 90cm x 190cm.
Can I fit a double bed in a small room?
It depends on the size of the room and how much other furniture is in it. A double bed typically requires a room of at least 9 square meters (100 square feet).
What is the difference between a small double and a double bed?
A small double bed is slightly smaller than a double bed, measuring 120cm x 190cm compared to 135cm x 190cm for a double bed.
Do all beds and mattresses come in the same sizes in Ireland?
No, there may be some variation between different manufacturers and retailers. Be sure to check the dimensions of the bed and mattress you’re interested in before making a purchase.