A warning has been issued by a gardener after his trees went up in flames as weeds were being removed. Daz Gordon and his wife, who try to minimise the use of chemicals in their garden, opted to burn weeds out with a handheld gas burner. However, on Sunday night, danger struck when his wife was burning weeds a metre away from a conifer hedgerow and it suddenly went up in flames. The fire was accelerated by the dry inside of the conifers, with the flames burning 15ft high from the inside of the trees. The gardener took to Facebook to warn others how the fire almost spread to a “60ft long row of 20ft high conifers”.
By the time the couple got the hose on the fire, it had become too big to control. The fire was igniting its way along the whole hedgerow faster than they could put it out. Had either of the sides lit, it would have posed a danger to theirs and their neighbours’ houses. The flames were burning 15ft high from the inside of the trees, which made it even harder to control.
Daz Gordon hailed his neighbours as a “Godsend” as two of them joined in with their hoses, helping Daz and his wife regain control as they waited for the fire service to arrive. They only got the better of it when they all soaked the bushes 2ft ahead of the flames on each side to stop it from catching alight further on – to break the chain reaction.
The fire was accelerated by the dry inside of the conifers. According to Daz, the flames were burning 15ft high from the inside of the trees. The gardener took to Facebook to warn others how the fire almost spread to a “60ft long row of 20ft high conifers”. Daz warned other gardeners to make sure their hoses are at hand when burning weeds.
The fire was very scary, and it took hold very fast. However, it was also a valuable lesson for all gardeners. Luckily, nobody was hurt, but it should serve as a reminder of just how easily it can happen. Daz has hidden all matches and lighters away from his wife, and they can now joke about it.
Many people flocked to the comments of his post in Veg Gardening UK. One reader said: “So scary, glad you got it in check and everyone was safe. It happens so quickly, it’s unbelievable.” Another penned: “Thanks for the information. We use those burners too because I don’t want weed killer to kill any bees. We will be extra careful in the future.”
It is important to note that when using a handheld gas burner to remove weeds, it is essential to have a hose nearby to prevent any accidents from happening. It is also important to ensure that the area is clear of any dry or dead growth, which can easily catch fire. As gardeners, it is our responsibility to take care of our gardens and ensure that we are using safe and effective methods to maintain them.