Attention Dog Owners! Beware of these Common Garden Hazards that Could Put Your Pooch in Danger, Urges Vet

"Vet's Warn Dog Owners of Common Garden Hazards That Pose Serious Health Risks to Pooches"

Dog owners have been warned about the common garden hazards that could pose a serious threat to their pets’ health. With summer just around the corner, pets are likely to spend more time outdoors in the garden, but this comes with its own set of dangers. Vetsnow, a veterinary clinic, has released a list of common plants, substances, and hazards that could harm dogs and how to avoid them.

Compost is a common feature in many gardens, but it is usually full of mould food and waste, which can produce dangerous poisons that are harmful to dogs. Dog owners are advised to keep compost out of reach and seek emergency veterinary advice if they suspect their pooch has been digging through the compost bin.

Most popular fertilisers come in granular, solid, and liquid form, and are not hazardous. However, some can cause severe sickness and diarrhoea if consumed by dogs. Fertilisers can also irritate a dog’s skin if they brush their coat against it.

Many weed killers contain a dangerous chemical called glyphosate, which can be harmful to dogs if consumed or touched. Dogs who have reportedly consumed a significant amount have suffered breathing problems, heart rate issues, and even convulsions. It is advised to use weed killer when dogs are safely tucked away indoors to avoid any scary problems.

Conkers contain a toxin called aesculin, which can severely poison dogs depending on how many they have ingested. Conker poisoning cases peak more in the autumn.

Acorns contain a toxic ingredient called tannic acid, which can cause damage to a pup’s liver and kidney. Most cases are most common in the autumn and winter months.

Many insecticides and pesticides contain harmful chemicals such as metaldehyde or disulfoton, which are extremely toxic to dogs. Vets advise dog owners to read instructions carefully and not use the product if there is a potential risk.

Lawn feed and moss killer, a commonly used gardening product, is shockingly dangerous to pup health. These products usually include fertilisers, weed killer, or iron, which kills moss but can also cause skin and gastrointestinal problems, as well as iron poisoning.

Several popular garden plants are poisonous to dogs, including daffodil, lily, and spring crocus bulbs, but often, it’s just the bulbs that pose the biggest threat to a pup’s health. Daffodil, lily, and spring crocus bulbs are all highly toxic, with symptoms of plant or bulb poisoning, including vomiting, upset stomach, and heart and kidney problems.

Some mushrooms are edible, while others are highly toxic, which can make it very confusing and difficult for dog owners to control. Symptoms of eating poisonous fungi can vary dramatically but may include sickness, hallucinations, and even kidney or liver failure.

Cocoa mulch contains a harmful toxin called theobromine, which is the same poisonous ingredient found in chocolate. It has similar properties to caffeine and can cause vomiting or diarrhoea and possibly muscle tremors, seizures, and elevated heart rate. There have been a number of reported cases of dogs becoming ill after eating cocoa mulch.

Stones and pits of plums, cherries, apricots, and peaches contain a dangerous chemical known as cyanide. They can be especially harmful to a dog’s health if crushed or broken before ingestion, and the fruit’s leaves can also be toxic.

Metaldehyde-based slug and snail pellets are among the most dangerous and common poisonings vets witness. Ingestion of these products can cause severe poisoning, and signs often occur within just an hour.

Toads produce venom through their skin when they’re under attack, and toad venom poisoning can be fatal for dogs if left untreated. The toxins can cause dogs to foam at the mouth, vomit, and show signs of distress such as pawing at the mouth and eyes.

Bird food that’s been let to turn mouldy, such as fat balls or bread, can contain mycotoxins that are extremely dangerous to dogs. If you keep your food recycling bin in the garden, be aware that it can contain potentially poisonous mouldy food. Dog owners are advised to always keep food waste well out of reach of dogs and seek urgent veterinary advice if they suspect their dog has eaten mouldy food.

If owners suspect their dog has been poisoned by any of the above items, they are urged to phone their vet immediately or visit their nearest pet emergency clinic.

Categories: Garden