Now that Christmas is over, it’s time to recycle the Christmas tree. Or you could even repurpose your tree as part of your garden.
The holiday season is a special time of year. But once the decorations come down and the festivities are over, it’s time to dispose of your Christmas tree. If you’re looking for an easy way to get rid of your tree in Cork, here’s everything you need to know about Christmas tree disposal in Cork.
The City Council has set up several designated drop-off locations around Cork city and county for people to dispose of their trees. Each drop-off location has its opening hours, so check with your local council before dropping off your tree. All trees must be removed by the end of January 2023; any trees left after this date will not be accepted at the drop-off sites. Here are some of the locations in Cork where you can go to drop off your Christmas tree for recycling;
- Gus Healy Swimming Pool, Ballinlough
- Clashduv Park, Togher
- Ballincollig Regional Park, Ballincollig
- Murmont Road, Montenotte
- Sam Allen Sports Complex, Gurranabraher
- Cork City Council offices in Glanmire
- Tramore Valley Park, South Link Road
If you don’t have access to a vehicle or would prefer not to drive your tree to one of the designated drop-off sites, there are companies that will pick it up from your home and take it away for you. These companies usually charge for the collection service. Cork Christmas Trees offer a collection & disposal service where you can book online on their website.
How about reusing a Christmas tree at home?
Here are some ways you could repurpose your tree at home;
- Chip It – The resulting chips can be used in landscaping projects such as creating mulch or filling in gaps in low-lying areas.
- Use It as Firewood – Another great way to reuse and repurpose your real Christmas tree is by turning it into firewood.
- Create Compost – If you have a compost heap, another great way to repurpose your real Christmas tree is by creating compost from its needles, leaves, bark and twigs.
- Make a Bird Feeder – You can also easily create a bird feeder.
- Use Them for Crafts.
- Use It To Stake Other plants in your garden.